Empower A Family Christmas StoreRelieving Burdens. Empowering Families. Proclaiming Christ.
Purpose for Change:
Each Christmas we provide a platform for families to purchase their child’s Christmas toys at a fraction of the cost. This relief of financial burdens for families throughout the year empowers families towards lasting change, and eventually without the need for charity or government assistance.
Here are a few ways we will do this:
- Collect donations (toys, games, learning tools) from local churches, individuals and groups, based on the wish list. The wish list is a collection of items requested by each family within a specific dollar range. We will collect items from Nov. 1st - Dec. 7th, and supplement any item that isn’t received with Christmas donations.
- These items will be set up within the Upper Room of our ministry just as if at a retail store. Each toy will be discounted down 75% based on the retail price. For example a $10 item will be marked at $2.50.
- Each family will have a $20/child limit to spend at our store. This should provide an opportunity for each child to receive anywhere from 3-8 items depending on preference.
- Each family has a pre-assigned 30 minute window to shop. (Large families will be allotted more time)
- Each parent will have the privilege to purchase items for their children at a fraction of the cost, empowering them to provide a happy Christmas for their family.
- Gift wrapping will be available free of charge to each family.
- Family devotions will be given to each family.
- Monies spent at the store will be used in our Christmas Fund to replenish purchased items, provide for last minute emergency situations, and help purchase a small gift for each parent.
- The families participating this year are part of our Community Food Co-op program or referred by a partnering organization.
- Children age limit is 16yrs.
- No Clothing will be requested or donated, except accessories. If families have this need, we are able to assist them through our Thrift Store.
- Shopping is invitation only. These are prescreened families served through Hope of Glory Ministries and have to qualify after completing a financial assessment.
A Note To Our Donors
Our heart is to provide a blessing and relieve some of the financial burden for each family, and not take away their blessing of providing gifts for their own families this Christmas. Therefore, we will not distribute children’s names, but will only make available the collected wish list. Parents will have the opportunity to select and purchase items at their own discretion, and with the care of our volunteers.
As a supporter, we ask that you purchase new items that are on the list in order to properly stock the store. Any item not properly stocked will be purchased before opening day to offer the best options and quantity to our families.
If you have any questions, please contact Cat Knell directly at (252) 321-6857 ext. 201 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Opportunities (hours)
- Store set up team on Monday, Dec. 7th - Wednesday, Dec. 9th anytime during the day.
- Store helper on Thursday Dec. 10th from 9-11am, 12pm-2pm, 3pm-5:30pm
- Gift wrapper on Thursday Dec. 10th from 9-11am, 12pm-2pm, 3pm-5pm.
- Toy replenisher on Thursday Dec. 10th from 11am-12pm, 2pm-3pm.
- Store helper on back up day: Friday Dec. 11th, from 9am-1pm. This will also involve the rest of the clean up.
If you would like to sign up to volunteer, please do so below.
Give to Help a Family
If you would like to give financially to Empower A Family, your gift of $50-$75 will make a joyful Christmas for those we serve. Please put “Empower A Family” in the notes/memo field or you may also mail a check.
Donations Needed By Dec. 7th
- Toys, Games, Clothing Accessories
- All Gift Wrapping Items (paper, tape, ribbon, bows, name labels, etc.)
- Small Adult gifts for Parent goodie bags. Practical unisex items in multiples of 50 OR multiples of 25 if for both parents together.
- Small bags to pack goodies in for parents.